Happy Grandparents Day!!!

 By…Erik Schuman

 

For my Memorial Day blog, I took the time to thank the other 9 members of my immediate family, around the one-year anniversary of being lucky enough to be declared CANCER FREE (May 20, 2019). I mentioned a moment with them that stood out to me. This is it here: 

Memorial Day Blog


When I did some research for it, like I do for all entries I post, I saw that Sunday, September 13 was “Grandparents Day.” As soon as I saw that all sorts of bells and whistles went off in my empty head. I saw this as an opportunity to honor our grandparents.

 

Starting on June 11, the last 3-ish months I have (I can lie - but the reality is): Bothered, Pestered, Annoyed and many other words like that - those on “the same line” as me. I sent out many emails to my siblings, their spouses, all but one of my cousins (Long story – not worth getting into detail) as well as some of the older children of my siblings and cousins asking them to submit a favorite moment(s) or memory(ies) they have of their grandparents. I received a nice amount of submissions. I did not receive from all but I know those that did not, did not do it because they do not appreciate all their grandparents did, because nothing could be further from the truth.

 

I knew there were many ways to do it. I chose to do it starting with the oldest grandparents that are no longer with us and then working our way down to the youngest – with one exception. For me (and my siblings), the oldest one is my Maternal Grandfather, Bert. I chose to start with the second oldest, Grandpa George since, without him, there would have been only one submission. After that, the 3 grandparents still with us today are listed from the oldest, my father, William, then Allen and finally Earl. Sadly, there are some called grandparents by those who received my request that are no longer with us. Since what they did was loved and appreciate by all, those who died and won’t be mentioned here are: Marvin and Sue Schuman; Mike Carniol; Wanda Lindsey and Elizabeth (Libby) Martin. I am sure there were some I missed. Sorry for that.

 

What you are about to see and read is EXACTLY what was sent to me. I made it very clear to all I was not going to change anything they wrote. I lived up to my end of the deal. What you see is what they emailed me. This Blog entry is a rather long one. It will take a significant amount of time to read. But I am 100% sure no one in the family will object to it. Up until now, I am the only one who has seen what everyone sent me. That is about to change. Unlike what I did with the grandparents, entries start with the youngest ones and work up to the oldest one (Me – in all cases except one) with that person’s name kicking things off. I also said if there were any pictures they wanted included to send those along. I received some and they are included. As you will see most involve something other than a picture with the grandparent mentioned.

 

Enjoy!

 

R.I.P.

George and Theresa Schuman

 

***Anonymous*** (This person submitted something and requested their name not be used. I am respecting those wishes and not printing their name here. I know who it is but will not say): Playing tennis with Grandpa George; Going out for Chinese Food countless times; Having numerous walks around their neighborhood; Spending the night at their apartment. They would pull out the sofa bed in the living room and I would get to watch TV while going to bed.

 

Heidi Schuman: Late 70s - When we were younger, we’d go visit Grandma and Grandpa at their Santa Monica apartment. I remember all the small rooms and kitchen but I especially remember the plastic covered furniture cushions. Do you remember that? It wasn’t very comfortable, but it was fun to slide on the plastic covered couch and make noises that annoyed all the adults in the room.



Mid 90s: Towards the end of his life, Grandpa was at a memory care facility (FYI: Grandma Theresa died in 1981). I’d go have dinner with him a couple times a week. He couldn’t remember much, but he always knew he didn’t like drinking plain water. He preferred to drink a cup of coffee with dinner (actually, with every meal). And he’s always put a crazy amount of sugar in his coffee or tea.

 

Jason Schuman: 70s: Buying water. When I was growing up, it was weird that someone would BUY water.  I did not know that buying water was a thing people did. The first time I did this was with Grandpa. I remember going a couple times with Grandpa in his huge green car to the store to buy water. Learning!


90's: Lorna Doone cookies.  When Grandpa moved into his facility in Portland, I had never heard of Lorna Doone cookies, Apparently, he loved those cookies. Tammy and Earl made sure to put some of these cookies in his room. To this day, when I see those cookies in the store, I think of him.

 


Rich Schuman: I will never forget Grandma’s cooking, especially her Sunday dinners, which included some of the best brisket and potatoes.  However, my favorite, were her blintzes.  Still to this day, no restaurant can match her, I am getting hungry just thinking about them.  As for Grandpa, some of my fondest memories include him staying with us after Grandma passed, how he would help in the kitchen and his general loving ways. I was so grateful that he got to meet Jill and attended our wedding.

 

Peter Schuman: Grandpa had a smile on his face many times when we visited with him and was a kind Grandpa to his grandchildren.  He would help us have fun when visiting whether taking us to the pool or ice cream (another favorite when I was a child). 

I always looked forward to visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Santa Monica, CA even though it seemed to me as a kid a longer drive to and from their residence.  I had fun walking in Santa Monica because of the closeness to the beach and the feel of being a beach town.  I had fun going to the Santa Monica Pier when visiting Grandma and Grandpa. 

I believe most of the people who provide writings regarding Grandma will note there was never a shortage of food at the dinner table.  You always parted from the table with an over full stomach and plenty of food remaining on the table.  Grandma was a good cook and I always enjoyed eating her food.  I remember she was in control of the situation whenever we visited, or she took care of us while Mom and Dad were on vacation or not at home. 

Grandma was a very kind and generous woman to her grandchildren.  There are many fond memories of Grandma Schuman, but I will only share one of them.  Grandma and Grandpa came to Fountain Valley to care for Kathy, Erik, and me when Mom and Dad were away from the house (I can’t remember if they were on vacation or a business trip for Dad and can’t remember the length of stay).  I was very excited to have Grandma and Grandpa come and have them care for us while Mom and Dad were away from home. 

I informed Grandma of going to play with friends near the elementary school we attended.  Grandma told me to be home by a certain time (I believe 5:00 p.m.).  I was home fifteen minutes prior to the time designated by Grandma primarily because I did not want to disappoint her as I had great respect for her and, in part, remembered the incident Grandma had with Erik regarding taking a shower (Erik attempted to convince Grandma of having taken a shower one night even though he had not done so, Grandma was not fooled, and ordered Erik back into the bathroom and shower, yay Grandma).   Grandma and Grandpa took us for ice cream (I believe it was Farrell’s ice cream) after I returned from playing with my friends (and most likely after we had dinner, but who cares about the dinner part when ice cream is involved in the memory). 

I wish there had been more time with Grandma Schuman but cherish all the moments and memories together with her and all of my grandparents and I am thankful for the memories and time together with my grandparents.

 

Erik Schuman: There are 2 things that stand out with me about Grandpa George.

He was a HUGE Dodgers fan. He loved them as much as he loved his family. One of the many reasons I am also a HUGE fan is because of him - and the fact he took me to a few games at Chavez Ravine. I remember one Sunday in the early 70s he took Dad (his son) and I to a game. I don’t remember much about it just that he took us. Oh, yeah – and he bought an ice cream treat, which for kids that age – there is nothing better than that. The sad part is the last time the Dodgers won the World Series was in 1988. Grandpa was still alive. Hopefully, this is the year they can finally win one after his passing. When they finally do I am going back to his grave site and dumping a bottle of champagne on it so he can enjoy the taste of the celebration.


 

In their aforementioned apartment, there would always be a Playboy in the bathroom for those who wanted to “read” it. I always spent a few extra minutes in the bathroom looking things over and being awed by the sheer beauty of the women in the magazine. And to keep people from asking: NO! I DID NOT! EVER! I only looked at the pictures. Nothing else!


The one constant theme you see about Grandma Theresa is: FOOD! That women loved to cook. And when she cooked, she made enough to feed an entire country. In September 1979, Mom and Dad (William and Louise) took us (Me, Peter and Kathy) to England. It was awesome. We missed the first 11 days of school! We flew out of LAX and because Grandma and Grandpa lived (relatively) close by in Santa Monica, Grandpa picked us up from LAX and brought us back to SM, where the car was. As you can imagine we were dead tired. We could barely keep our eyes open. We were that tired. We had thought about calling Grandma Theresa (Which would not have been cheap back then) and asking her not to make us anything when we got there but we either didn’t think she would or it was too much to call and ask. BIG MISTAKE! We arrive at the apartment and sure enough, the table was full of food. As much as we didn’t want to eat, we knew we had to do it. So, we did. We made sure not to make the “fatal” mistake of giving her our plate. I have heard plenty of (horror) stories from my parents and aunts/uncles about times someone came over to eat, she asked him (always a guy) if they wanted more, they said they did, but not a lot, then made the “fatal” of mistake of giving her their plate only to get it back with enough food to make him look like Violet Beauregarde from the Willy Wonka movies – and the poor guy had to eat it all or else face the wrath of having her ask: “What’s the matter – you don’t like my cooking?”




Grandma Theresa was the first of my Grandparents to pass away – in February 1981. It may have been almost 40 years, but I can live to be 10,000 years old and will never forget being told she died. My Uncle Earl called the house that day. He asked to speak to my father, his older brother, Bill. I said Dad was not there but should be home soon and I can have him call Uncle Earl back when he gets home (No cell phones in 1981). Uncle Earl said that Dad was on his way to Santa Monica and how their mother, my Grandmother, had suddenly passed away. I heard this and it was like a hammer smashed the side of my head. I was shocked to hear this and was equally numb. I was almost 17 at the time and had to do the toughest thing I ever had to do at that point in time. Mom (Louise) and my siblings, Peter and Kathy did not know this. So they come home and are walking up the walkway to the house. I meet them outside and tell them the news. As expected, they all start breaking down and crying. Because I had already done it and because since Dad was not there, I was the “Man of the House” I comforted Mom and Sis. That was no fun at all. Only thing tougher in life was on March 4, 1990 (Dad’s Birthday) when Hank Gathers died and I was at KTLA and 6 of us had to go get the station’s weekend Sportscaster Ed Arnold, and somewhat of a father figure to Hank had died. There were 6 of us there in case Ed fainted. He did not. That was tougher because Hank was in his early 20s and had a long life ahead of himself unlike Grandma who lived a longer life than Hank. To this day I can still hear Uncle Earl’s words and the reaction it caused.

 

Finally, the Summer I was 13, Grandma and Grandpa drove up to Oregon for 2-ish weeks (Something they did every Summer) to see their youngest son and his wife (Earl and Tammy) and brought me along. It was awesome. The drive – not so much. But just being with them and playing all of the games Grandma and I did while Grandpa drove - was. It took about 3 days to get up there. When we did, I had all sorts of fun and even saw my Uncle Earl get a ticket. In a boat. We were in a lake. His daughter, Heidi, was with us. We were furiously paddling the boat but because of a heavy wind blowing in we only got a few feet out. Some cop saw us and because only Heidi wore floaties, he wrote Uncle Earl a ticket. The cop asked him what he did for a living. It may have been 40+ years but I remember it like yesterday. Uncle Earl said he was a “Physician.” The cop asked him how to spell that. Uncle Earl shook his head, sighed in disgust about getting a ticket from an illiterate cop and said, “I’m a doctor” – something he knew (or hoped) the cop could spell. The one other thing about that trip was I got to meet Aunt Tammy’s parents: Hal and Ida Lanning. Heidi and Jason are their grandkids. I am not. Yet when I was in their presence, they treated me just the same as if I was one of their grandkids. Which is what should be done but isn’t always that way. I never forgot what great people they were and how they were very nice to me and all of Heidi and Jason’s cousins who came up to Oregon. Heidi and Jason got very lucky to have 2 sets of grandparents among the all-time best ever.

 

Sam Martin

 

Rich: Unfortunately, my Grandpa “Bomb” passed away when I was 6 years old. But I do have some wonderful memories of his gentle nature, sitting on his lap as he’d share stories, and his love for his family. I also have fond memories of Granny Libby. She died when I was in the 8th grade, but I remember running around her big house in Northridge and the big yard with fig and fruit trees.

 

Bert and Sophie Carniol

 

Peter: Kathy and I were approximately 12 years old and we visited our grandparents in Schaumburg, Illinois.  We took a flight to Illinois and it was the first time flying without our parents.  Grandma and Grandpa drove us from Illinois down to Treasure Island Florida to visit Uncle Mike.  We drove through Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and other states (I can’t remember which ones). 

We stayed approximately one week in Florida and had a great time in the warmth of the Gulf of Mexico, swimming pools, and the Treasure Island area.  We had a fun time driving through the various states going to and coming home from Florida, particularly eating at places in different states that served less than healthy food (I liked eating less than healthy food at that time). 

I also remember Grandma Carniol being a good cook and looking forward to eating her home cooked meals (eggplant parmesan, noodle kugel, red snapper dish, tuna casserole . . .) and eating candy from her many bowls of candy (seven or more throughout her residence).  Grandpa Carniol would play cards throughout the day at a table, but always had time to talk with us or drive us somewhere if we wanted to do something fun or go to the store. 

Grandma Carniol and I had the opportunity to have time together on a three to four-week trip to Bulgaria and Russia in 1989.  Although the vacation had one or two less than enjoyable moments, the overall time together was very enjoyable, and I believe the vacation created a special memory for us to share until her passing and a special bond between us. 

Grandma Carniol was born in Bulgaria but had not visited in over 50 years and wanted either Erik, Kathy, or me to go with her on a return trip.  I volunteered to go with Grandma Carniol to Bulgaria and Russia.  There were many special memories on this trip, but one stands out in its importance at the time and to this day. 

Grandma and I were on a guided tour through four Russian cities with a group of people from different parts of the United States.  We were on an Aeroflot (Russian airline) flight between two cities in Russia.  The plane was older and a bumpier ride (the plane was shaking quite a bit because of turbulence from take-off to mid-flight).  I closed my eyes and hoped we would make it to our destination.  As I braced my arms against the arm rests with eyes closed at approximately mid-flight, I felt another person’s hand gently grab my left hand.  I opened my eyes and realized Grandma had grabbed/braced my left hand and there were two immediate reactions. 

First, I felt a Grandma’s comfort of helping me through the flight and second, after she grabbed my hand the flight was without incident until landing (no bumpiness/turbulence).  Since that flight through the present, whenever I am on a plane flight and there is turbulence or bumpiness, I always close my eyes and imagine holding/grabbing Grandma’s hand as we did on Aeroflot and it helps me through any rough parts of the flight.  A grandma’s touch is very comforting particularly with Grandma Carniol as she comforted another lady my age in our group on the Russian trip.  The other lady was feeling lower that day and commented to me that she felt immediately better when Grandma Carniol rubbed her hand against the face. 

 

Erik: Grandma and Grandpa Carniol lived in Skokie, Illinois meaning we did not get to see them as much as we did our Schuman Grandparents. Except for the 18-ish months we lived in Schaumburg. But they did come out to CA some and we did fly back there, some.


I have 4 things that really stood out with Grandpa

He was born in 1899. He said he wanted to be a doctor, but his father died when he was in the 6th grade and he had to quit school to support the family. During the 1929 Depression he kept his job at the printing company he worked for. He was one of the few who had some money. Because he lived though the Depression he was very conservative with his money. He was happy getting whatever the banks paid in interest. That is understandable. But if he had invested it in either real estate or the stock market he would have been worth many, many, MANY millions when he died – in 1984. I understand why he did not but if………?


Grandpa always liked to tell the story of a man coming into their offices one day in the early 1950s. The man wanted the company to print a magazine he wanted to start. He told the owner what he wanted it to be and the owner turned it down saying he couldn’t because of his religious beliefs. The man that came into their office in the early 1950s was: Hugh Hefner. He wanted Grandpa’s place to print “Playboy” Magazine. The owner would not do it. I commend the owner for sticking to his beliefs but just like with Grandpa and the stock market and/or Real Estate, if……...???



Because he was born in 1899, medical advances were not what they are now. Grandpa had Polio. I forget which leg was slightly shorter than the other, but one was. He ALWAYS had to use a walker because of this. When he came over to visit or we went over there he almost always sat down since that was easier to do. I wonder what his life would have been like had he been able to go to Medical School and if he didn’t have Polio?


Grandpa Bert died in 1984. When he came over to visit he was always looking for something to do. So, one time we handed him the box with all of the recipes, as unorganized as most things were (and still are) in the house. He not only filed them in alphabetical order, but he made an index of all he did. As I said, he has been dead for over 35 years. But to this day the recipe box is still filed in the same alphabetical order was when he did it, 40-ish years ago. There are no words as to how amazing and awesome it is to open the recipe box, see his handwriting and recall him doing it and the impact he made on us well after his passing.


Grandma Carniol

Like most Grandmothers, THIS WOMAN COULD COOK! She would make all sorts of recipes and the food was always excellent. Her homemade Apple Pies were to die for! Sadly, her daughter (Louise – my mother) must have been doing something at the time because she isn’t 1% of the cook her mother is. Grandma would make Apple Pies that were better than anything Marie Callendar’s could ever hope to make.

Later in life Nana’s (What we called her) hearing deteriorated to almost nothing. You had to YELL AT HER just for her to hear you. Because she had no hearing she would yell at you, too – not knowing what she was doing. After Grandpa died she moved out here to California to be near her daughter and the rest of us. I commend her for that because moving at any age is tough but at an advanced one is even harder. Grandma lived in a retirement home but a nicer one. But every time we went there a strong urine smell was easy to detect in the front office area. Sometimes we would visit Grandma for a meal. She loved having us there and showing us off. The men had to wear coats to dinner except in the hot Summer months when one was not needed. So, Dad, Peter and I would leave an awful coat at her place just so we would have one in case we forgot to being one. I remember one time in the Summer it was the usual hot day. I wore a Polo shirt and shorts. I found out the latter was not allowed. They let me do it this one time but I was at the front desk when a woman staying there made a nasty remark about me wearing shorts. I don’t know why, but I “snapped” back at her saying I had nicer legs that she did and if anyone shouldn’t be wearing shorts it was not me. When we had a meal with Grandma, as I said, yelling would have to be done to communicate. One time (and I forget which one of us was there with her) she had something to tell that person. She let whichever family member it was with her know some woman a few tables over was: Fat, Ugly, Stupid, etc. But Grandma did not say it but instead yelled it. Loud enough for that woman to hear it all a few tables over, have her look over at us and have his try to find a massive hole to immediately jump into so we could get out of an embarrassing situation. That was typical for her.

 

The ONE memory that stands out above all else happened a few years before her death in March 2000. She did not drive so when she came over to visit, we had to drive and get her, bring her to the home then drive her back. Honestly – it was an inconvenience. She lived almost 20 miles away and it took about 30 minutes, with no traffic. One time we are driving from her house to the one in Fountain Valley and are just about to get on the freeway to come back to FV. We are right near the Irvine Spectrum. She says to me how she hated being a burden and inconveniencing us. I will never forget what I told her. I said she was right. It was a burden. It was inconvenient. But we did it because we loved her and because there would be a day in the not-too-distant future when we would want to come down and see her – but won’t be able to do so because she will no longer be there. I truly meant it. She was blown away and had both a smile on her face and tears down her cheeks. What I said truly touched her. What I said was also 100% RIGHT! You have no idea how many times in the last 20 years I sooooooooo want to go to her place and see her or have a meal with her or just do anything with her. She was the last of my Grandparents to die. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss her – and the other 3 – and when things got warm during the Summer, I used this Afghan as a “blanket.” As you can see it has seen better days, but she made this. We have a few others in the house and using it makes me feel like at least a part of her is still with us.


Burton/Ted Carniol: Honey Grandma was from Bulgaria and Grandpa was from Romania.  They used to each make some type of cold eggplant dish from their respective countries and would have me taste them both to say which one was better.  I always would say Grandpa’s is better, which made him happy and Honey Grandma upset.  In truth, I did not care for either one, but Grandpa’s was less unappealing.  Never told them this though as I did not want to hurt their feelings.

 

I used to watch Honey Grandma and Grandpa play a card game called Klaberjass after dinner each night.  It is a point-trick game with one player declaring a suit to play for each hand. Grandma and Grampa each has a little container of quarters and dimes with their names written on it with a marker.  While playing a hand, if the person calling the suit loses, they paid the other player a dime.  The game is over when one player amasses 500 points, at which time they would collect a quarter from the loser.  Then a new game would begin at 0-0.  For years they would play, and the containers of money would go up and down, but no one ever ran out of money. 

 

During the pandemic while Kate (my lovely daughter) was home from Syracuse, I taught her the game.  We played 32 games (to 500) during this time as it became a nightly after dinner ritual.  She is now back at Syracuse and has been teaching/playing Klaberjass with her friend while in quarantine. So nice to know that the tradition has been passed on to future generations.

 

David Lindsey

 

Kelci Schuman: I was too young to have any memories of my Grandpa Lindsey (Grandma died before Jade was born) but have heard nothing but amazing things about them. Grandpa fought in the Korean war, was shot in the arm, and got a cool tattoo to cover his scar. Little did I know that I would have an arm tattoo like grandpa. Everyone says I have my Grandma’s pretty big eyes, and she too was a professional dancer - hula. David and Wanda met in Napa Valley, married in their hometown Honolulu (34 years), raised 4 kids, and have 4 grandchildren. 

 

Jade Schuman: It’s cool that my Grandpa David and I share the same birthday. Our joint birthday party - my 1st, his 64th - was incredible, judging by pictures, and I fell asleep way before him, haha. My Grandpa would patiently peel green grapes for me, because he didn’t want me to choke from its skin and would gently hand-feed each one to me. Sadly, I never met my Grandma Wanda because she died before I was born, but I’ve seen pretty photos of her with Grandpa and lots of family, heard that she was beloved by many & had the best sense of humor. So even though I experienced only one Lindsey Grandparent for a very short time of my life, I find comfort knowing they’ve been and will always be my angels. 

***Grandpa David Lindsey in Hawaii with baby Kelci (3 months old) & Jade (3 years old). David died a year later, so the girls won’t remember details spent with him. He enjoyed visiting with his only grandchildren before his death, seeing them happy, healthy & playing in the same yard that he raised his four children.***


Still with us

Bill and Louise Schuman

 

Ethan Smith: Being the first (and obviously favorite) grandchild, I have been very lucky to have forged a strong relationship with my grandparents. While I could go on and on listing off our memories together, nothing sticks out more than our annual trips to SeaWorld when I was younger. From the time I was 3 years old until I was probably 14 or 15, grandma and grandpa would brave the over two-hour drive to take me to SeaWorld. It was a well-known fact to the rest of the family that no one else was invited to come with us. Call me possessive, but this was my one guaranteed day to spend quality time with grandma and grandpa and I was very protective of that. 

 

As Erik often likes to say, wars have been fought with less precision and planning than the way I mapped out every second of our day at SeaWorld. We basically ran a full marathon by the time we left the park, which was always when the park closed for the day and we were forced to leave. I should also own up to the fact that as much as I tried to be polite about asking them every year not if, but when, we were going to visit the park, it eventually became more of an unspoken expectation of mine. And I know, looking back, that there were many times when they absolutely dreaded it whether they want to admit that or not. But they sucked it up, because being the amazing grandparents they are, they cared more about how much fun I had on this day than their own boredom and exhaustion from how long of a day it must have been for them. That mentality of theirs could singlehandedly sum up how they are as grandparents. The love they possess for their grandchildren knows no bounds, and they will travel to the ends of the Earth (or in my case, San Diego) and back just to put a smile on our faces. It does not go unappreciated and I could not be luckier to have two loving, supportive, and generous grandparents in my life. Happy Grandparents’ Day, I love you both!

***This is a picture of the top of a shelf in his room. Notice how many whales stuffed whales there are.***



Sharon Schuman (Sharon married Peter in 2004. She is their Daughter-In-Law and not a Granddaughter but she submitted this and it was too great not to use): My favorite memory with Louise is dancing to the Beach Boys tunes at the Carpenter Center when we saw Brian Wilson and his band. Baya (What Sharon’s daughter Emma – and Bill/Louise’s youngest granddaughter calls Louise – for reasons no one knows – including Emma, who gave her this name because one day she asked why she started calling her “Baya” and no one knew and we were hoping she would know but she doesn’t) and I danced to almost every song. It was such a special outing that we’ve tried to recreate it multiple times, but nothing yet has compared.  Louise knows so much about books: she remembers the names of authors and titles, and, has the uncanny ability to always points me to a good read. Sitting at the kitchen table to work the Times crossword puzzle with her is “our’ special time.

Bill and I also have a special relationship. It was he who introduced me to the love of my life, his son, Peter. I can still envisage Bill working at Coastal Communities Hospital while he eavesdropped on the conversations within the department; and like him, I, too, do a bit of eavesdropping. Papa has an adventurous spirit, so my favorite memory is parasailing with him in Dana Point or taking him and Emma to go horseback riding. We always have philosophical and deep conversations, and enjoy sharing a variety of ethnic, spicy foods.

Papa goes along for the ride, and Baya is the planner so those fun things do happen. I enjoy hearing the fun that Emma has when Emma, Baya and Papa go to the movies and dinner together, or when Emma spends the night and they bake cookies (no slight here to Hilary Clinton!). Happy Grandparents Day! Hope you spend it doing something you enjoy!

 

Allen and Maxine Schuman

 

Kelci: There are so many fun memories I have with Grandpa and Grandma Schuman. Since I can remember I have been spoiled with fun pool days, yummy fresh baked desserts, and lots of love from my grandparents. Something that sticks out to me is their magical cabinet filled with movies! As a kid I thought it was the coolest! They literally owned every movie I could imagine, kind of like today’s Disney Plus, haha. No matter what happened during the day, I knew I could end the night with a great movie. :) Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa for everything. I love you! 

 

Jade: Grandma Maxine and Grandpa Allen, I am deeply thankful for their 26 years of love & support. Despite living a far distance from each other until I turned 18, we visited often so they were always in tuned with my milestones. Living in LA after high school, I was really lucky to have them nearby to help me with so much; grandma’s cookies, grandpa’s jokes, their hugs & words of wisdom made my life a little less stressful. I do attribute my endless love for Disney to them. From the countless Disney park trips to all the Disney movies and gifts, Grandpa & Grandma provided so many fun memories. But my favorite times are honestly the casual visits at their house, with their dogs too. The meals they’ve cooked for us - specifically, Grandma’s Macaroni and Cheese (Erik’s comment: Jade is sooooooooooooooo right here – Maxine’s Mac and Cheese should be illegal – it is THAT GREAT!) and Grandpa’s applesauce - to me, nothing screams love and comfort like those two dishes. And now my sis and I enjoy cooking meals for them. I love you, Grandma & Grandpa! Happy Grandparents Day! 

*** Taken at Allen’s 80th birthday dinner in Calabasas. Although their only grandchildren lived out of state & across the ocean, Grandpa Allen & Grandma Maxine managed to build & maintain a beautiful lifetime relationship with Jade & Kelci up to this day...26 years of pure love. Their bond is priceless and forever treasured.***


Earl and Tammy Schuman

 

Zoe Schuman: Grandma Tammy and Grandpa Earl have always been loving and caring grandparents. Every summer, I love swimming in the pool with my cousins and sister while the adults chat by the poolside. Grandma and Grandpa say that we are always welcome and their house. They are just the perfect mix of spoiling their grandkids and making sure that we don't run too wild.

 

When I was younger, I also enjoyed going to Cycle Oregon weekend with Grandpa. Whenever I need to, I can always sit in Grandma's lap and tell her what's going on in my life (even though I'm now bigger than her). If I was staying over the weekend, I would sometimes go to breakfast with Grandma and her friends. Going to Maui with them was always a blast. Just recently I visited them in Maui by myself and we had a fun-filled week.

 

Grandma and Grandpa's house is like the central hub of the family. Well, at least the part of the family that lives in Portland. Even though I now live in Seattle, a part of my heart will always live there because that is where my family is.






Comments

  1. What a nice present for Grandparents'
    Day. The memories are very special. As Grandpa (Papa to Emma) always says, "The reward for having children is getting grandchildren".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog