Two Days…Four Decades

 

By…Erik Schuman

 

Ten years ago, today, was Monday, June 11, 2012. Big deal you may be saying. Who cares about this one random day of the year? A day approximately midway between Memorial Day and the start of Summer.

 

THE MOST LOYAL, DEDICATED, DEVOTED FAN BASE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CARES! For it was on this day 10 years ago that “45 years of Cubs on Skates” ENDED!

 

It was on this day 10 years ago THE LOS ANGELES KINGS WON THE STANLEY-MOTHERF*****G-CUP FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!

 

It was on this day 10 years ago we no longer had to hear the dumbest and worst fan base of any team outside of Atlanta boast they had a Cup, and we didn’t. We did hear from this JV NHL team that plays across the street from that city’s baseball team how they got theirs, FIRST. And they are right. But knowing how that baseball team plays in “Los Angeles” while the team further North plays in Anaheim – who cares what they think. But the “fans” of a team my Kings’ fans friends call “The Inferior Southern California NHL Team” or “The Inferior Ones” or even shorter “The I.O.” had to shut up because just over 2 years later, Friday, June 13, 2014, the Kings got their SECOND Cup and-in-every-sport but Golf and Track & Field, 2 > 1. We have 2 STANLEY CUPS, and they only have one and they will shut up even more because the next Cup won by a team in this area will be the Kings making the tally “3-to-1.” Patrick Roy speaks for all Kings’ fans here when talking about The I.O. “fans.”


Looking at the headline of this entry you see me mention a pair of games and four decades. The reason or that it, almost 40 years before the Kings won the team’s first Cup, I attended the single-greatest sporting event I have ever seen…in North America (I add the “North America” part because on February 21, 1992 – almost 9 years later – I was in Albertville, France, working for CBS at the Olympic Games. I had an all-access pass which I found out could get me ANYWHERE. So, I abused that privilege and used it to finagle my way into events for which I did not have a ticket for and that included a Men’s Hockey Semifinal game between Team USA and the “Unified Team” which is what Russia was called. This was the first meal-round game between the two since the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” and the intensity and atmosphere for this game was unreal. You could feel the electricity in the air and when the USA tied it late in the second period at 2-2 the place was buzzing heading into the final 20 minutes only to see Unifieds score three goals and win 5-2).

 

Thursday, February 24, 1983, I was part of a record crowd of 5,015 people who jammed their way into 4,100 seat Titan Gym to see Cal State Fullerton host #1 ranked UNLV in a Men’s Basketball game that saw something previous unimaginable happening for a home game – and something that has never happened since: SCALPERS! Face value for most seats was $6 yet scalpers ere getting upwards of $50 for tickets to a game that was shown locally on TV. This was a rematch of a game played a month earlier in Las Vegas, which saw the Runnin’ Rebels win 76-71. Heading into the game we KNEW we were going to win and “experts” who followed the PCAA Conference kinda/sorta knew, too.

 

The game started at 7:30 (I think – might have been 7?) but by 6 pm the place was packed. I could only get General Admission seats for the game so I got there around 2 pm and waited so I could be the first one inside and get the best GA seats. That I did. My father, brother and a friend and his father all saw the game and sat right under the basket Fullerton went to the second half. Fullerton is 17 miles from John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana. If you stood directly under a plane taking off from that airport it would have been quieter than the game that night. When you exceed capacity of a building by almost 1,000 you can only imagine how hot and stuffy that place can get, and you would be right in this case. Fullerton could have moved the game a few miles away to the 7,000+ seat Anaheim Convention Center and easily sold out that place but wisely kept the game at home to keep the huge home-court advantage,

 

UNLV led early and at halftime but led by All-American point guard Leon Wood, as well as 1984 Olympian and the #10 overall pick in the 1984 NBA Draft, Fullerton won 86-78. Within seconds of the game ending the court was flooded with jubilant fans. This is a copy of the game and if you go to the 1:47:35 mark when the score is shown, and you see fans in the background you will see me. I vividly recall celebrating and then I saw the camera had a red light and even then, I knew that meant it was “hot” (live on air). I have no idea what time we went home. I do recall I had an 8 am class the next day and for reasons I cannot explain I actually attended class even though the instructor for that class wrote the book for the class and thus there was never any reason to attend class except for the test but because I was a Freshman, and too stupid to realize it, I went to class almost every day! The only good thing about going to class the next day was picking up the school newspaper and reading about the win. I still have that copy almost 40 years later as well as the Los Angeles Times!



For those who might doubt I was at the game - here I am:


Here is the game itself - HUGE shout out to long-time friend Hank Tran for posting this!


In the years after this game, I was fortunate enough to see all of my sports teams win championships:

  • Dodgers (2): 1988 and 2020
  • Broncos (3): SB XXXII (32) and XXXIII (33) and 50
  • Fullerton Baseball (3): 1984, 1995, 2004
  • Lakers (9): 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2020

 

All of my teams, Except one. The one I most care about: Los Angeles Kings.

 

When I was 7 years old, Dad got a job in HELL. Illinois. Same thing. I say that because I hated living there. I was mercilessly teased and mistreated. It was a good night when I did not cry myself to sleep because of how bad the kids were to me. Only two good things happened while there. The first was my mother broke her arm stepping on “black ice” one New Year’s Eve and ended up breaking her arm. That was not the good part. I still recall to this day my siblings (Bro/Sis are a little over 3 years younger than me) waking up and going to Mom/Dad’s bedroom and finding out what happened to Mom. They told me since I was the oldest child, I had to help with the household chores as well as cooking. I had no idea how to cook but eventually learned and because of that I am a great cook.

 

The only other goo thing to come from living in Illinois was learning to love hockey! Sadly, we never went to a Hawks game at Old Chicago Stadium. I have seen clips of games there and it looked like an incredible place to see a game. When we moved back to Los Angeles after I finished the 3rd grade my love of hockey stayed with me. I was a diehard Kings fan when few were. My brother and I would get Dad to take us to Kings’ games – not Lakers. With the exception of a few teams no one went to the games so we could buy crappy seats and sit wherever we wanted.

 

It was at a game during the 1981-82 season where my brother and I went down low to watch the pregame skate. Towards the end of the skate sometimes players would flip pucks into the crowd to people begging for them. One game I got lucky. Rookie Daryl Evans flipped a puck up my way. He flipped it right to me, so I easily caught it. I left my brother in the dust as I flew up the stairs to show dad what I got. Never mind I lost the puck days later. Evans wore #15. Ever since that day I have worn #15 as my way of saying “Thank You” to Evans for what he did. Evans is best remembered to Kings fans for a goal he scored on April 10, 1982. In this game the Kings trailed the mighty Edmonton Oilers 5-0 heading to the 3rd period. Somehow the Kings tied the game then Evans won it in OT on a shot Oilers Hall of Fame goalie Grant Fuhr still hasn’t seen. The game is called “The Miracle on Manchester.”


 

Take away this one moment and being a Kings’ fan is like being Charlie Brown trying to kick the ball with Lucy holding it. You know how things are going to end and it won’t be pretty:


The Kings actually made the Stanley Cup Final in 1993 against the Montreal Canadiens. The Kings went to Montreal and won Game One and if not for an illegal stick from Marty McSorley in Game Two would have won that and come home up 2-0. But McSorley had an illegal stick and Montreal won Game Two and all three in Los Angeles and the Stanley Cup. Incidentally, this was the last time a team from Canada won the Cup.

 

Being a Kings fan meant suffering through seasons where the team played more like the Washington Generals than the Harlem Globetrotters. Even more maddening was truly incompetent (mis)management. The Kings were (in)famous for trading away high draft picks for washed up players then seeing those draft picks turn into Hall of Fame players. It was bad enough Tom Barrasso was drafted with a pick the Kings traded away but four years earlier Ray Bourque was drafted by the Boston Bruins with a pick obtained from…any guesses?...the Kings! Bourque only played 22 season and is one of the greatest players in NHL history. The player the Kings acquired was goaltender Ron Grahame. Looking at Grahame’s NHL/Kings’ stats the team would have been better off playing Heather Graham, instead!

 

The Kings made the playoffs in the 2001-02 season but then missed them the next six seasons. The two after that saw first round exits – both times in 6 games so while there was some hope for the 2011-12 season, realizing what team we are talking about quickly tempered expectations. It didn’t help any when the team changed coaches just before Christmas. With a month left in the season the team was still 10th in the West, two spots out of a playoff spot but a hot streak saw the team get the final spot in the playoffs.

 

Still, there were no expectations of any kind with the team facing the #1 seed Vancouver Canucks. A first-round loss was expected. Albert Einstein said the definition of “Insanity” is: “Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.” Kings’ fans had “seen this ‘movie’ before” and knew what to expect. Although this time Einstein was wrong.

 

In a sign of things to come the Kings won the first two games on the road – something they did in all series. Add in a home win in Game 3 and the Kings led every series 3-0 after 3 games including an NHL record 10 straight road wins.

 

Dispatching Vancouver in 5 games, St, Louis Blues in 4 and the (then) Phoenix Coyotes in 5 games meant the unthinkable was happening. The Kings were actually GOOD! Even though the Kings did not have home ice advantage over Phoenix and then New Jersey (Cup Final) the Kings were favored to win each series and favored by a decent margin!

 

The Kings could have swept the Devils in 4 but lost both Game 4 and Game 5 setting up Game 6 on…Monday, June 11, 2012.

 

The morning of June 11, I was in Las Vegas. My nephew graduated 8th grade that weekend and the family went out to see it. The nice thing about being in Vegas that morning was I could place a legal bet on the game. That I did. I knew the Kings were going to easily win so instead of betting them to just win I bet them on the “puck line” – meaning they had to win by 2+ goals – and getting a much better payout for it.

 

I knew they were going to win but it’s not like I have never been wrong before when making a bet. I remember being as nervous, yet excited, as I have ever been. All of my nervousness went away early in the game when the Kings got the benefit of a missed official’s call. Juts over 10 minutes into the game the Kings got a -minute powerplay on a major penalty called against the New Jersey Devils. It was the right call, but the play never should have happened. Seconds earlier the Kings should have been called for a penalty but were not. If that penalty was called the Kings not only don’t get the powerplay they are shorthanded.

 

The Kings scored 3 goals on the powerplay, putting the game out of reach. The Kings led 4-1 in the 3rd period and got an empty-net goal then one more to go up 6-1 with a few minutes left. I recall being in delirium. After suffering through decades and decades of ineptitude, MY TEAM WAS ABOUT TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!! 45 years of "(Chicago) Cubs on Skates" FINALLY came to an end!

 

As the last seconds ticked down, I did what all those did at the game – counting down the final few seconds. Once the final horn sounded and reality hit, I am not 1% ashamed to admit I teared up some. Even though I hoped to live at least another 30+ years I had pretty much given up any hope of the Kings winning Lord Stanley’s Cup. Yet, here it was, about to happen.

 

I have said if you take away all family events – birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, etc., Monday June 12, 2012, is the single-greatest day of my life. For the first time ever, I could hold my head up high and be proud to be a Kings fan. My team was the one who won the final game of the season. My team could finally put Marty McSorley’s illegal stick in the rearview mirror. The feelings I felt could best be described by something that happened 18 years earlier. In the 1994 season the New York Rangers won the Cup for the first time since 1940, beating Vancouver in Game 7 at Madison Square Garden. A pair of Rangers’ fans made the most iconic sign ever. Just 6 little words expressed the thoughts of long-suffering fans. Now Kings’ fans could say the same!


While I was happy for myself, like almost all other Kings’ fans, we felt happiest for Bob Miller. Miller was the long-time voice of the Kings. He is to the Kings what Vin Scully is to the Dodgers or Chicken Hearn to the Lakers. Miller’s fear, and that of all Kings’ fans, is that he would never get to see the Kings win the Cup when Miller was working for the team and could do play-by-play for it. June 11, 2012, changed all that as both Bob and Nick Nickson (Long-time radio voice) called the historic moments:


This may have happened 10 years ago but every time I watch this (and it is easily 2-4 times a month) I shake my head in disbelief and go as bonkers as I did when it happened.


 

The next season, 2012-13, started late because of a work stoppage due to players and owners unable to come up with a contract between both sides. The good thing to come from that is with the season delayed the Kings paraded the Cup around the local area. On October 12 I went to one of them and got a few pictures with the Cup. I used them for my Holiday card that year. I have pictures of me with my arm around it and kissing it:


Like with the Fullerton/UNLV game in 1983 I have the newspapers from June 12, 2012. I also invested in a jersey to commemorate the special moment and one that took place just over two years later, the Kings SECOND Stanley Cup title.





I am glad I got the jersey because here it is a decade later and if not for being able to go to YouTube and see clips of the 2012 Playoffs, I’m not sure I would be able to believe MY TEAM WON THE STANLY CUP!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog